Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Does prayer really change "things" or people?

How powerful do you think prayer really is? Do you believe all the prayers in the world can change the plans God has already made for you? Can it turn the dead to life, the blind to see, the lame to walk,a gay person straight, or an atheist to believe? OR does is just give us the power to accept what God has put in our path and help us see a different side of things?
I have read "The Power of a Praying Woman for her kids" (by Stormie Omartian) and I ask myself if I believe my prayers will actually change the events or actions in my kids lives or just change ME into never giving up hope that they will walk with the Lord? Will they live a life of love, joy, peace, faith, kindness, gentleness, and self control? I can hope and wish but it really is up to them and their personal walk.
We only have control of our attitude about life and how we react to what God puts in front of us and to be able to increase our appreciation for God's grace that is our there for us to grab and from that, gain wisdom to hopefully share with those who will listen.
As I lay down at night to say my prayers - do I pray that someone from cancer will be healed - or that that person will have the strength to endure what God has in store for them and to have faith in His love that HE is in control!
If He already knows us so well, down to the number of hairs on our heads, wouldn't His plans already be in place??
If I pray that my friend or family member will get a job and if he/she does are my prayers answered? If they don't are they not answered?? Not sure. I guess I can only pray that God will come into each persons heart and that they will be open to listening to God's voice in what they are to do.
Yes prayer can be powerful -
but I believe mostly it will change the hearts and souls of the people and not necessarily the events planned for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment